Asheville NC has been in a heat wave this last week, like so much of the rest of the country. Historically, we rarely get above 90° but records have been broken several times as we hit the upper 90s. Luckily it still has cooled off every night into the 60s. Normally our Asheville NC inn guests enjoy being outside for evening social hour, held in our patio area next to the lower pond, but we have retreated recently into our air-conditioned solarium. This evening with the rains behind us and temperatures a delightful 71°, all the guests at our Asheville Bed and Breakfast enjoyed having wine and Hors d’oeuvres outside again.
The conversation always tends to revolve around what to do while visiting the Asheville NC area, and we recommend 5 ways to beat the summer heat:
- Visit a Waterfall: Dozens of waterfalls are easily accessible from Asheville, NC inns. Our favorites are located at DuPont State Forest, where The Hunger Games were filmed as much of the movie was shot in DuPont State Forest. Other waterfalls are accessible along the Blue Ridge Parkway and depending on your elevation, you will be much cooler. We also recommend Chimney Rock State Park where you can hike to a waterfall seen in the movie the Last of the Mohicans.
- Visit Mt. Mitchell: Mount Mitchell, The tallest peak east of the Mississippi at 6,684 feet is a beautiful one hour drive from the our Asheville NC inn. There are amazing views and multiple hiking trails. The temperature is always about 20° lower than Asheville.
- Splasheville: Located a short walk from the WhiteGate Inn at Pack Park is the interactive water fountain called Splasheville. It has been hugely popular lately due to the heat. Appealing to kids of all ages. It’s fun to watch adults, fully clothed, try to dodge the arching sprays of water, usually without much success.
- Book a River Experience: With two rivers flowing through Asheville NC and others a short drive away, immerse yourself in a whitewater adventure. This is a perfect way to cool off and The WhiteGate Inn highly recommends Wildwater Ltd. Adventures can range from mild to wold, journeying downstream via tube, raft, or kayak.
- We All Scream for Ice Cream: If our WhiteGate guests mention finding the best local ice cream, Frank and Ralph are the experts, having discovered all that is ic- cream in Asheville, NC. We are not talking Blizzards from the Dairy Queen, but wonderful concoctions from The Hop and Ultimate Ice Cream. Popular flavors are Ginger, Peach, Salted Caramel, and even Mocha Stout, made with beer from one of our local breweries.
Come stay at the 1889 WhiteGate Inn this summer, and we’ll show you great ways to beat the heat and have a lot of fun at the same time.